Here's just a short list of common "greenwashing" techniques:
- Natural Latex - blended latex has varying percentages of natural latex so, it becomes "natural" latex.
- Organic Latex - 100% natural latex, regardless of source, is frothed using additional chemicals.
- Bio-foam or Eco-foam - refers to to polyurethane foam with added soy-based ingredients, about 5-20%. It does reduce the number of barrels of oil used in producing poly foams, however the foam is in no way "natural"!
- Natural Memory Foam - heavily promoted by the manufacturer as the "world's only natural memory foam", these claims recently received a blow when the FTC filed complaints against three companies claiming "no VOCs".
- Organic Mattresses - often even the cover is not organic and, in some cases, the cover has no wool or insufficient wool for a natural fire barrier. Pick from above for possible "natural" claims for the latex or eco-foam used in the mattress.
- In Business for Over__Years - we've seen them come and go, one large and popular site, in business since the mid 2000s, somehow managed to get another couple of decades out of the sky.